Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pregnancy musts!

Lately, I find myself wanting to remember every part of my pregnancy. It could be the fact that we have entered the 8th month and William's time in my belly is getting shorter and shorter. I am very excited to meet him but I will miss having him tucked away in there and feeling him move around, knowing that he is safe and warm. So, for future reference or for any mommy's to be looking for guidance (as I was!) here are some key things that I could not live without during my pregnancy! I only included the healthy stuff because let's face it, the chocolate and french fry cravings are not helpful. =) 



1) my yoga ball- this thing has been a saving grace for my back and for stretches since it is hard to get all the way down onto the floor. I just lay across it and stretch out my spine and it feels really good. It also feels great to sit on it and reach for my toes, stretching out my legs and stuff. Supposedly it is also helpful to induce labor but more on that later! 

2) my Nike Free's- or probably any good pair of tennies. These are nice because they are made of some sort of stretchy material so they are super comfy when your feet start growing. They almost feel like you are bare foot, but offer enough cushion to keep your foot comfy. On days when my feet hurt and my flip flops aren't cutting it, these are my go-to. 

3) Leggings- I have always been a fan but I am living in them now. They are just so comfy and I love how you can dress them up with a cute top, wear them for work-outs or just to lounge in. They are also light enough where I don't feel hot.

4)Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy- Nick calls it my bible and it has been. Offers really practical, helpful advice and covers EVERYTHING. I enjoy reading the weekly updates and how my body is changing along with baby's. During my first couple weeks, it was like a god send. I was flooded with information from the internet and from friends, I didn't know what to believe! It was nice to have a one go-to source for all my questions. 

5) Cocoa Butter- I haven't been as good as I should be about applying it daily (or nightly, I should say... before bed) but when my skin starts to feel like it is really stretching, this stuff gives it the moisture it needs to feel better. It also leaves my belly shiny and glowing, which I love. I am sure I will start to use it more as my belly seems to really be growing now! 

6) fruit! - I can't get enough. I don't know if it is the h2o in it or what, but I crave it. And the juicier, the better. I love, love, love oranges and pineapple. It has also been really helpful in place of sweets. 

7) La Croix sparkling water- I am addicted. So is Nick. I have tried almost every flavor and I like the lemon the best. The carbonation seems to help me burp which is helpful for indigestion. I drink mostly water throughout the day, but this stuff is definitely yummy and not too expensive like some sparkling waters.

8) Epsom salt- Warm bath + epsom salt + quiet house = woosahhhhh. I started reading about epsom salt baths when the muscles in my back really started hurting. I put about a cup of it in my bath and it really helps to soothe those aching muscles in your back, hips, feet, neck, whatever! You will read mixed reviews about baths when you are pregnant, but my belly doesn't even get all the way submerged, so I think it's fine (and necessary). So, light a candle, put on some relaxing music and have yourself a much deserved warm bath. William likes it too =)

9) yoga- I found a really great prenatal class when I was about 6 months along. It has been really helpful. It is a nice time to just breathe and connect with baby. The stretches feel so good. Some days, I swear I am too tired to go, but I am always really glad when I do. I like being around other expectant mommy's too. It is such a nice thing to do for myself and a great, relaxing space to be in. I was a lover of yoga even before I was pregnant, but I feel like this pre-natal class is helping me to understand the practice and concept of yoga even more as I am having to be very gentle and really listen to my body. 

So, here you have it! I hope that someone else can find this helpful. I always did a ton of research before accepting something as part of my pregnancy routine so I feel confident in sharing this with you.  Plus, I have two nurses in the fam who are very tolerant of random texts and phone calls about what I can/can't do. Good luck and happy baby days!

No comments:

Post a Comment