Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Newborn Newsies


1. portable bassinet: this thing is a lifesaver. It allows William to sleep anywhere. Not to mention that he loves the coziness of it. He always lays down and snuggles up when we put him in. They have some cute ones on Target (make sure it has wheels!) for about a hundred bucks. Definitely worth it for the first couple of months when you always want him close by (I don't know if this will ever change for me!).  =)

2. video monitor: also available on Target. It is a little pricey at $179, but I think its worth the investment. It allows you to see baby at all times, talk to him through a microphone (which I had a friend who said this only made baby mad to hear momma through the speaker and not to see her..) and play lullabies. We really only use it for the video. We have been letting him nap in there since the beginning and it's nice to know I can see him when he is doing these big boy things!

3. sleep sheep: I had someone just call this "all that is good in the world." =) definitely a comfort tool for baby. The rain setting reminds of what it may have sounded like in the womb. Not to mention it is super soft and sweet.

4. The Bjorn: or any baby carrier. William is still getting used to it.. Sometimes he isn't sure what to think, but I think he likes it. It is a great option to have when you want baby close by but still want to use your hands. Probably a great option for dad too. Nick likes to use ours quite a bit.

5.   The Aden and Anais swaddle blankets: they are so soft and light, perfect for the Key West weather. They seem to get softer with each wash. I also love the sweet little patterns on them.

6. Aubrey Natural baby & kids bath soap: I am all about anything natural, and especially when it comes to William. We bathe him about twice a week and I like knowing that I'm not using any harsh chemicals on his baby skin. We got this at our local health food store and I love it. We also have all natural powder for his little baby butt. They both smell so good too.

7. The rubber paci's are what he started using in the hospital and what he has the easiest time keeping in his mouth. I was worried about nipple confusion with using a paci right at the beginning since we are breast feeding, but we were fine. It really comes in handy to help calm him down and put him to sleep. (I will let you know if my feelings on this change when it's time to take it away.. eeek). I would say to get about ten of these bad boys.. they get lost easily and they are bouncy like a ball, so they often end up in unexpected places.

8. The lamby seat: This was super helpful when we first got home from the hospital. It has a setting for vibration which put William right to sleep. It's like a papasan chair for babies. It's super soft and baby sinks right down in it. It's nice when you need to set him somewhere close by to shower or do the dishes.

9. Sassy cup: I use this thing a lot for his baths and I'm sure we will continue to use it. It's one of those things that you don't think that you will need, but are so grateful to have. It helps me to rinse him in his baths and wash his hair. I think he will like having it as a bath toy when he gets older and its soft grip makes it fun.

So, that's about it! There are a few other things that I recommend getting like a nursing cover to feed when you're in public, a travel size wipes holder for your diaper bag, a car seat insert for when they first come home from the hospital (William used his for about a month after), blankets to use when you want him to be on the ground (when your home, outside, or at the beach). Also, don't ask for all the same size diapers, they go through the newborns and move to the 1's before you know it! Nipple pads. Have fun with those things..

That's about all I can think of for now.. I have racked my brain trying to remember every little thing that we have used that made our transition easier. I'm sure everyone's experience will be different. But, I do think that these items are some key ingredients to making life easier for you and baby in those first couple of months when you just aren't quite sure what to do! (I promise it does start to flow after some time!). You can't hear it enough... do what works for you and your family (mom, dad, and baby). And learn from dad! They have a great, fresh perspective on the whole thing which is helpful when mom feels very attached and overwhelmed! Hope some of this helps =)




















1 comment:

  1. So glad that Sleep Sheep, lamb chair and the paci made the list...
    Love you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete