Sunday, March 22, 2015

Tapping my heels together.


It's funny, I have a friend here who sometimes asks me questions about Key West. He will say things like... "well, you guys don't have a Spring do you?". I will pause for a moment to think about the answer... "well, no things are always blooming." Thinking to myself how true this is... the Poinciana trees bloom in Spring, Bougainvillea bloom in Winter, Frangipani's bloom in Summer... there is always something blooming! The thought had never even crossed my mind. What a beautiful thing to have a year round Spring. Another question he recently asked... "Well, what do you do when it's hot? You must have to stay indoors." Hmmm... "Well, we go out on the boat. Or we swim in a pool with lots of shade." Another thought that made me want to teleport myself out of this Boston Winter.

Soooo.. I decided to take a day trip to Key West today (in my mind). =) It really kind of felt like I was there! I miss home so much. It's funny how you don't realize what you have until it is gone. I have a whole new appreciation for Key West now that I have left and a lot of love for the life that is offered to us there. I think Nick and I both are truly island souls and it is something that we have passed onto William. Although, there is not much opportunity there, I do feel like for us, locals, there are opportunities for us that are not available to others. It comes from knowing people and people knowing us and having an understanding of the place that is difficult for others to comprehend. The culture becomes a part of you, the laid back lifestyle is ingrained in us, the ocean... it runs through our veins. There is just something about this quirky home of mine that is hard to get out of my system. I have left several times and always come back. I do hope to be able to make Key West my official home one day. I know right now is not that time and I am okay with that. I think it is important for me to experience a new and different way of life that I am experiencing here in Boston. I think life led me here to see things from a different perspective, which I am finding every day. I am realizing how truly BLESSED I am to be an island girl, to have been close to my mom and have her a part of my every day life while we are still on this earth together, and to call Key West my home when others can only dream of it. Well, thats all for now. Until next time Cayo Hueso, this girl is dreaming of you and has you in her heart <3

No comments:

Post a Comment